USMNT, USA soccer team, didn't look too good Monday in our loss to Belgium. That hurt. Before you know it though, it will 2030 and we will ready for the next World Cup somewhere over there in another part of the world.
Something new I heard last week which I never remember hearing, but I am getting older, is "Bridge and Tunnel". This is a New York City slang term to describe suburbanites from the outer boroughs and NJ who make their way into NYC for work and the nightlife. Now, if I take the ferry, what I am now?
Apparently though, this phrase started in the 1970's and it is basically stereotyping people from outside the city as not being 'chic'. But, who cares how goofy I look on the dance floor of Studio 54, as long as I'm dropping my Benjamin's at the clubs.
Which brings me to another slang that I am working hard to erase. Bennie! Not Benny Hill! (the English comedian) For many years we had a home down the Jersey Shore, first in Toms River, then in Point Pleasant Beach which we presently occupy.
Well, a Bennie, if I'm spelling it correctly, are people whose primary homes are in the Northern NJ and NYC area, that come to the shore between May, the unofficial start of summer, to Labor Day weekend. Bennies come down here, crowd the beaches, restaurants, bars and roadways and make life difficult for the locals. My lord, how outrageous!
Now, I'm sure this is not business owner making these, "oh great the Bennies are here" sarcastic smirk, because I Googled what these horrible people spend in a given summer and it is estimated to be $9.17 billion in Monmouth and Ocean Counties alone. Lose the attitude people.
For me and Doris, we are spending more time in PPB in hopes of losing that Bennie stigma and complain about people who park in front of my house. But, I will tell you this. PPB, gives overnight parking passes, so what most people do, myself included, is either late at night or early AM, the locals park in the spots by our homes, slap that placard in the window and gobble up all the parking spots, which force them Bennies to pay $40 to park in a pay lot. Hey, we need .17 to be 18.
One more thought about NYC. Mayor Mandami created a map, "NYC Immigrant Enclaves" as part of guide for tourism for the people coming in for the World Cup. Pretty cool to see all the different areas and I guess if your looking for your favorite food, just pop out the map and it saves a lot of time not having to ask people in the hotel lobby.
A slight problem though. If you're looking for some Italian food, you better hope your cab driver knows where Little Italy is, because it is not on the map. Wow, are the creators of the map not into some spaghetti and meatballs with plenty of garlic.
Hey, I'm sure the "B&T" and "Bennies" know where Mullberry Street is. Also, the San Gennaro Feast, which will be celebrating the 100th Anniversary will be starting on September 17th. Get them hot zepp's ready!
Be safe.
John A Sutich

No comments:
Post a Comment