Friday, July 3, 2026

A Red Card?

 "Take me home, country road, take me home".


Go USMNT. On Wednesday night, America's soccer team, moved on to the round of 16 to face Belgium, after beating Bosina and Herzegovina 2 to 0. It wasn't easy after one of the stars got a red flag, which was very questionable, and was ejected from the game. The US had to play the final 31 minutes plus 10 minutes of stoppage time with only 10 players against 11.

So, to see them celebrating in the stadium singing John Denvers' song along with the fans was fabulous. On to Seattle to take on the Belgium's on Monday.

Okay, other big news today is the "Wedding". Is this all a smoke screen from Taylor and Travis about a wedding at Madison Square Garden? I can't really tell, because I spilled coffee on the watermark on my invitation and the best I can make out, is it will be in Middle Village, Queens.

With all the festivities going on with Fourth of July, why in the world would they decide this is the ideal time for a wedding in NYC. Last night, Thursday, though was I guess the rehearsal party where only about a 100 people were partying in tents outside the Garden. Now, thats the party if you're a somebody!

Well, it's here, for all us other people not invited to the 'wedding'. America is celebrating 250 years. Big celebrations for the holiday, but basically the whole year there is stuff to do to enjoy the moment.

Think about this for a second, I remember when Fourth of July, 1976 was the party. Crap, that was how long ago! I do remember it though. That is the year I first started dating my beautiful bride.

In 1976, I lived in North Bergen but hung out in Gutenberg right down the block from the Galaxy Towers. There was a huge party in the towers and I happened to run into some people who gave me a pass to get into the building. In I went, only to be tossed out on my ass before I got on the elevators! What gave it away, the t shirt and flip flops?

Now, 2026, I live in a building in West New York, just past the Galaxy Towers. Deciding if I want to be in the building or with friends at the Jersey Shore, the decision was made when we were given notice that Port Imperial Blvd would be shut down from 10 AM on the Fourth. No exceptions! No, "but I live here". Closed to all. Even the workers in the building need to find a way to get to work. The only way to go out is to do like our forefather's did. Walk.

The good news about the lock down, is I wouldn't be tempted try and sneak out and head to Nathan's Hot Dog in Coney Island to take on 17 time champ Joey Chestnut in the famous Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest. I didn't think he would be there tomorrow, because he is presently in Indiana on a 180 day probation because of a misdemeanor felony charge. Some judge though, signed off on him making the trip to compete in the contest. Just when I thought I had a chance.

How you doing with all this heat? I enjoy it myself. After all, we complain all winter about the cold, then when the heat is here, what do we do. "Oh, I love Spring".

With this thinking in mind, I was in Lowes Wednesday, you know, 100 degrees. I  was checking out at the garden center cashier, which is outdoors. An older woman was at the register and she wasn't the most pleasant worker at Lowes. I figured it was the heat that was making her act a little curt. Anyway, I innocently asked if she will get a chance to move indoors and work in the air conditioned building.

Well, was that a mistake. She informed me that she enjoys the heat and why complain because we wait all year for the heat. Sound familiar? I hope I'm not wrapped as tight as she was?

Enjoy the weekend and don't to cheer like heck on Monday for our Team.

Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment