Friday, July 17, 2026

Oh Well

 Get ready for the madness Sunday anywhere near MetLife Stadium. Argentina will be looking to win back to back  World Cups against Spain, who beat France in the semi finals, who by the way were favored to win it all. Tant pis!


Don't get in a tizzy, it means 'oh well'.

To tell you how difficult this back to back is, it has only happened two other times. Italy, 1934, 1938 and Brazil in 1958, 1962. Some pretty rarefied air!

These Argentina fans are all over. I was in Hoboken after the game Wednesday afternoon and the fans, all dressed in their traditional light blue and white jerseys were parading around First Ave by the bars. Cars were honking horns in celebration. Me, I was trying to pay the meter by my Park Mobile app. I needed to concentrate. Look, I once paid the app, but chose the wrong license plate and wound up getting a $50 ticket on top of my parking fee. You know how I feel about that.

"Tant pis".

What I don't understand about the traffic they keep talking about, is that no one is allowed to drive to the stadium. The only way to access the arena is by mass transit. So what, are people just going to drive there to say they were detoured away from what? A highway.

Argentina, by the way, beat England, who I was pulling for because we met a guy on our trip to Greece last year who sought of looked like Harry Kane. Well, at least I thought he did. And, are you ready for this, his name was Tom Jones. Yeah, pretty cool, right? And he sang karaoke! You got it, "My, my, my Delilah". Him and his wife were great people.

Sounds like a pretty silly reason right? Because I'm finding out how hard it is to bet against Lionel Messi and his teammates.

Since we are talking about England, on July 10th, I'm a little upset my bald head wasn't invited to London to be part of Pit Bulls latex bald head get together to beat the Guiness World Record of, how stupid is this, the latex plastic bald head challenge'. Anyway, they got the record.

Now, if I did go, I would have to take my authorized sized carryon luggage. Yep, finally, these ridiculous bags that people try to pass as a carryon will now be stopped by TSA screeners, because the new machines that do 3D images can only fit a bag measured 22x14x9. About freaking time.

Get ready New Jersey. Sunday, all eyes will be on us. If you are lucky enough to be attending the game, don't hesitate to call your local limousine service. Most of us though, me, will be in search of a watch party.

One more thing. Since the World Cup started about a month ago, I've been struggling with the announcers and all the new phrases I've had learn for this Football lover, not a Futbol fanatic.

Give me Tony Romo and his, "this is the biggest play of the game".

Be safe

John A Sutich

No comments:

Post a Comment